6183 Cherry Valley Road, Stormville, Pa.
Open only on Sundays in July and August
1-4 p.m. • Special hours by appointment
Admission free – Donations for upkeep accepted
The Monroe County Historical Association maintains the one-room Bell School, located in Hamilton Township, southwest of Stroudsburg.
Built in the 1870s, the Bell School housed students until 1953. It was given its name as the only school in the county with a bell in the cupola on the roof. The typical one-room brick school houses a collection of books, artifacts and pictures, recreating the atmosphere of a small school in the late 1880s-early 1900s.
Volunteer docents are available during school hours to provide additional information about the school and its pupils. Group tours are available on request.
Directions: From downtown Stroudsburg, head west on Main Street/Route 209.
Turn left at the light onto Dreher Avenue.
Continue, bearing left Dreher becomes Glenbrook Road.
Follow Glenbrook Road past Glen Brook Golf Club.
Continue to the stop sign, then go straight onto Cherry Valley Road.
The Bell School is not far ahead, on the right.